Wine Cellar

Hi everyone, I thought I would give you all a quick run through of my recent wine cellar build. I got quite a few questions about how I put it all together so I figured maybe more people would benefit from me explaining it a bit more.

 This was a project I took on not really knowing how I was going to put it all together, and definitely not realizing how much time it would take. The client had a small picture out of a magazine that they wanted to match fairly closely.

The unit is roughly 7 feet wide and 9 feet tall. This obviously doesn’t fit through 99% of doors in houses, so I had to figure out a way to build it in 3 pieces, and be able to assemble it on site in a way that matched the design, didn’t interfere with the glass, and was strong enough to support the door moving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I first built the the two side sections, and the door. I then built a header that would line up perfectly with the side glass grids. In this process I had to account the gap allowance for around the door so it would  function properly like a real door. I left an 1/8″ on the hinge side and top, and 1/4″ on the strike (handle) side.

Another hurdle was that in order to maintain the nice straight lines across the whole wall, the bottom tube on the door needed to be modified to a custom size. The door sits about 3/8″ off the ground, so I had to cut the bottom tube apart, remove 3/8″ and welding it back together so the line at the top of the tube matched the sides.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In order for normal door hardware to be used, without modifications, the hinges needed to be mortised into the steel tubing of the door and frame. To accomplish this I laid everything out carefully, traced the hinges, and plasma cut some mortises for the hinges. A bit of welding and blending and the hinges became part of the project!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next challenge was to incorporate some door hardware. I build a box out of 16ga steel that would house the lever and be able to function like a normal door. With proper backset drilling, everything worked perfectly.

 

 

 

To hold the glass I used 0.5 x 0.5 tubing. I applied doubled sided tape to the window stop, installed the glass panes, and then stuck the opposite side of the window stop on with more double sided tape.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once all the glass was installed I masked everything off and did finally touch up paint. I was really torn on this project between getting everything powder coated or painting. I ended going with paint due to the fact that I knew there could potentially be some small modifications on site to make everything fit and work properly.

 

 

 

When all was said and done I spent about double the hours I had planned for the job, and felt like I never wanted to do this again. It didn’t take long though for me to consider doing another, once all the positive feedback came in!

 

Any questions please let me know. I am always more than happy to talk with people about how I build things or how it can be modified for their purposes!

 

Categorised in: